Monday, October 3, 2016

Fishing Report & Fly Fishing

CML_MUG.JPG

Now that Fall is almost here, I am hoping for a mild and pleasant one.  Pasco County, where I live is almost borderline sub-tropical.  In fact, my hometown, 60 miles north in Citrus County has a climate difference of 5+ degrees cooler this time of year.  That’s good for me, to go there and fish.

I’ll tell you, my life on the water this past week was another blockbuster.  Almost so great, that the story, if I tell it, you will question my honesty,  You see, I have over 40 years of experiences.  The last 20 of it, I was good as I was going to get in Homosassa.  I covered it all a thousand times or more.  But every dog has its day.

So, being blessed with such a beautiful body of fishing grounds; knowledge and experience is golden.  That’s why rich people hire fishing guides.  They don’t have time to do the footwork.  They are good at making money.  Their time is valuable and they want to catch fish mostly.  Some just enjoy being out there for the experience.  Fishing is an excuse to be there.

To see what I have seen on the water in the pursuit of my finned friends over the years you have to be a guide or retired, no ifs ands and buts. Being rich is better, but I would not know:-)  I have at my disposal a few of the best fishing guides who are my friends as well.  I know how they fish, where they go and their temperament.  They don’t really need me to survive.  They are very good at what they do.  They are basically just helping me out, an old man.

What I want my new friends of Dade City and Wesley Chapel to experience what I have done for decades and those of my guide buddies.   You know, if you are a good caster and have your own equipment, that’s 99% of it.  1% is having your rod bent.  I like it all, no matter the skill level.  In my life now, I am here to teach how to cast a fly rod for the first time or hone your skills some.  You might hone mine.(I would love to have a super pro like Lefty or Flip come to Flint Creek Outfitters of Dade City, FL.)  But, I am always open to better and easier ways to cast the bug and their are plenty of local talents in the Tampa Bay Area.  So many resources, it is unbelievable.  I just need help in tapping it.

You know, catching 60 redfish is great and Walt and I did that this past week in 2.5 hours.  I would rather see a new fly angler catch their first redfish, trout, bluefish, ladyfish, tarpon and so on, than catch 5 dozen.  Fly fishing is entertainment, watching and managing your flyline and bug to the strike zone of a solitary fish in 3 feet of gin clear water.  Learning to fly cast is fun and rewarding.  It is a new hobby and costly at first.  It is worth the time and money.  It is a good way to keep a kid out of trouble, too.

When I fly fish myself, I am hunting for the fish, which way his head is pointed and how I will present the bug.  I’m not out there constantly casting like with a spin rod.  I am looking around on the flat, on the bottom for contrasting colors and shapes of fish.  I am reading the water’s surface for a change in the normal pattern such as a tailing redfish on a slick calm day.

Some of the most exciting strikes from a redfish, is from a topwater MirrOlure.  Is that a fly?  No.  I chuck fly poppers to get the redfish to slam it on the surface.  Now that is fun watching the surface explode especially when other redfish are chasing the one that’s hooked.  But poppers are not a lot of fun to cast with a fly rod.  Their heavy and catch too much air.  Determination goes a long way.

My quiet time is almost over this morning, so in closing, I’d like you to know I exist to fish and teach others to fish.  Fly fishing is the game and I have the rods and place to show you the ins and outs of the sport.  Give me a call.  1 on 1 is fine. Up to 4 persons.  Let’s learn to Fly Cast!  Spin fishermen welcome in the store.  

To arrange a fly casting lesson or book a guide, call me. I am there every day except Tuesday and Wednesday.  The phone line is live from 10:00 A.M. to 6:00 P.M.,  Monday through Saturday and on Sunday 12:00 P.M. to 5:00 P.M.  

Capt. Mike Locklear
Flint Creek Outfitters
14129 7th St.
Dade City, FL.  
PH:  813-681-1888
captmikelocklear@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment